Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Love my job

I have been working for hospice for a month. I love it. I'm not quite sure how you can love working with the dying but I have found my calling.

I'm filling in for a friend who is taking some time off. She will return and my job may be over. If I'm lucky I will continue to be a resource employee. In the meantime I'm thanking God every day for this job.

This last week has been hard. My first week I saw lots of living people. This last week I have seen lots of dying people. They tell me I have been a comfort. I'm not really sure that what I do is extraordinary. I just sing the songs God gives me. I feel blessed to be a comfort if I am. I love being outdoors, going between the facilities and getting to know so many people.

I finally feel like I have become the music therapist I always wanted to be.

I have been learning new songs and taking guitar lessons. My teacher wants me to choose a list of 10 songs to take into the studio and record. I think I'm going to focus on old cowboy classics. I'm pretty sure I'll do San Antonio rose and Amazing Grace. Maybe the Tenneesee Waltz and Waltz across Texas. I want to learn the Mansion over the Hill and see if that fits in. I'm going to have think about this carefully.

No comments: